Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Unlucky Number 4

My first thought is of the Tower of Terror at DisneyWorld & DisneyLand. For those that don't know, it's a ride portraying an elevator horror from 1939, where the elevator lift plummits 13 stories to your (gasp!) death (or maybe just your stomach lurching into your throat). Thirteen stories. You were asking for trouble. As many of you probably know, 13 is quite unlucky in the U.S. Most buildings completely skip the number when numbering the floors.

Thank goodness I can get 13 out of my system in Korea. I can use it all I want (and I may even claim it as my lucky number while I'm here)! One number to stay away from? Four. Four is Korea's thirteen.

I technically live on the 4th floor of my building. Heaven forbid. Thank goodness no one knows. My apartment is labeled as #501, and the elevator buttons are numbered 1, 2, 3, 5. Whew! Glad I got around that one! At least I was born in 1983, the year of the pig (the pig in Korea is very lucky). Maybe the good luck from the pig and the misfortune from the 4th floor apartment cancel each other out. That's my hope so I can put my superstitions to ease!







1 comment: