Sunday, October 26, 2008

Heart and Seoul

The Seoul Tower view from my hotel on-post.
Moving halfway across the world - $10,000. Taking language classes to learn Korean - $100. Having a realtor that cares - priceless. Let me explain. Upon arriving in Korea, I was given temporary living quarters in a hotel on-post. My adventure of finding an apartment started shortly after arriving. I faced the reality of cleaning my own place and making my own bed once again. Jee, my realtor, was recommended to me by my sponsor, and she was determined to find a placed that I LOVED. And she did. The lease was signed, I received the keys, and my household goods were delivered. She came to sit with me when the cable and internet were being hooked up, in case a translation was needed. Ends up, I needed more than that. As we talked, she asked how I was adjusting to life in Korea. Uncontrollably, my eyes welled-up with tears. I explained that I had no complaints, but I just missed everyone at "home." She listened and gave me a bear hug. She gave me another hug before she left. And she called me the next day to see how I was doing. A realtor? Yes, a realtor. But more importantly, a friend. Maybe I'm in for a surprise. The Korean people might actually capture both my heart and my Seoul.

1 comment:

  1. Katherine- I was so happy to read that a stranger, turned friend was there to give you that hug! John has kept me well informed and I just hope the US Army finds a way to bring you and Ryan back to the same base ASAP. I will keep in touch! Jane

    ReplyDelete