My wonderful, awesome, expensive, beautiful-picture-taking Nikon D40x 10.2 MP digital camera followed me into the ocean on a beach in Maui this past September. I wish it would have been a child to scold or a husband to roll my eyes at, but it wasn't. I was left standing wet on a gorgeous black sand beach with a broken (and wet) camera and a heart that had dropped to my feet.
For those that don't know, I hate water with wildlife. Well, I don't mind it from afar, but me getting IN the water is a phobia of mine. I was scarred one summer while in the Ohio River when a floating dead fish touched me. I haven't been the same since.
It happened in an instant. I went to the water's edge to wait for the next wave to roll ashore. I could see it coming. I waited, anxious to get my feet wet. But the wave didn't slow down, and I knew that this fish-infested water was going to come farther up my legs than I wanted. I tried to back up, but the flip flops I had on were suctioned to the wet saturated sand. I lost my balance, and as soon as the wave came in, so did I (and my camera that was around my neck). I got a little more wet than I bargained for, and my camera only read an error message. I was so mad at myself. I still had 2 days left in Maui to photograph!
Since the sad death of my camera, I have been using a Canon PowerShot (a great point-and-shoot camera, but not even close to the picture quality of my Nikon). I mailed my Nikon to have it repaired, and I finally have it up and running again. My apologies for the mediocre picture quality on the blog. It will be better from here on out! I'm so thankful to have my camera back!
*In case you were wondering, I did go in the ocean quite a bit in Hawai'i. I snorkeled and swam every chance I got! Having such clear water made a huge difference!
Where the tragedy took place: Honokalani Black Sand Beach along the Road to Hana
No comments:
Post a Comment